12 October 2006

Chapter VI: Willie

When I woke up the next morning it was cold in the room. I went out of my bed and went downstairs. Obi seemed to be working already. I asked him if I could take a shower, and he asked me what a shower was. I explained him that it was a thing that you could hold in your hands and that there was water coming out of it. He laughed with me, and told me such things didn’t exist. I explained me that they washed themselves at troughs. When asking him where I could find one, he told me there was one at Willie’s mill.

And so I went to Willie’s mill. I saw a trough and a well. I filled a bucket with water and poured it into the trough. The water didn’t seem very clear, but it would be suiting. I started washing myself with the water. I was half way done when I heard noise coming out of the mill. A few seconds later I saw an angry person running outside of the building holding a rake.


He ran to me and threw the rake. I avoided the rake, but it was very close of hitting me. I yelled to him “Are you crazy?” but he did not reply. When he reached me pushed me on the floor and grumbled to me that I had to stay away from his yard. I explained him the situation, and told him that Obi told me to come and wash myself here. He helped me to stand up and told me I should have asked him first, and I told him I was sorry. Willie went back inside and I continued washing myself.

No comments: